Right after getting married, I spent some time listing out my favorite movies. I did it as a break from all the job applications and to amuse myself. Now, on my fourth round of review, I have found it to be an interesting look into the status of my life. For example, now that my daughter has turned 2 years old, I find that children's movies have begun to find their way into the ranking. Some of the more "inappropriate" movies have shifted down as the question of "would I let my children watch this?...ever?" floats through my maturing parental mind.
I am not saying there is too much to be gleaned from this, but it is fun to think about it. Besides, isn't having a ranking an internet thing anyway.
Here are the rules:
1) I must have seen the movie twice
2) I must have seen the movie since 2001 (this makes it so I don't have to think about every movie I have ever seen and gives the movie a fresher perspective)
3) Some movies are not ranked do to a) the connectivity of several movies to each other; b) an emotional/cultural response to the movie(s); and/or c) the inability to distinguish the movie(s) from sequels, in comparison to other movies.
The following meet this criteria: Indiana Jones Trilogy (the Crystal Skull does not and will never exist), Star Wars Original Trilogy, Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Wizard of Oz, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, James Bond Films, Bourne Films, Back to the Future Trilogy, Batman Films.
1. The Hunt for Red October
2. Silverado
3. Roman Holiday
4. Undercover Blues
5. Red
6. Return to Me
7. You’ve Got Mail
8. Clue
9. The Shawshank Redemption
10. Miracle
11. The Sting
12. A Few Good Men
13. The American President
14. Remember the Titans
15. War Wagon
16. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
17. October Sky
18. Catch Me if You Can
19. Apollo 13
20. Tron Legacy
21. Tron
22. Sneakers
23. Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid
24. The Great Escape
25. The Princess Bride
26. The Man Who Knew Too Little
27. Rear Window
28. North By Northwest
29. Mary Poppins
30. Joe Versus the Volcano
31. Groundhog Day
32. Spies Like Us
33. When Harry Met Sally
34. The Italian Job (2003)
35. War Games
36. Hero
37. I, Robot
38. Big Fish
39. Her Alibi
40. Facing the Giants
41. The Ultimate Gift
42. A Beautiful Mind
43. The Fugitive
44. The Incredibles
45. Red Dawn (1984)
46. Braveheart
47. Sound of Music
48. Stranger Than Fiction
49. Mr & Mrs Smith
50. Blindside
51. Three Amigos
52. Paycheck
53. Fearless
54. Spy Game
55. The Prestige
56. Equilibrium
57. The Right Stuff
58. To Kill A Mockingbird
59. The Count of Monte Christo
60. The Usual Suspects
61. Get Smart
62. Maverick
63. The Saint
64. Road to Redemption
65. The Truman Show
66. Top Gun
67. Gladiator
68. Crimson Tide
69. The Dirty Dozen
70. Independence Day
71. Ocean’s Eleven (2001)
72. Cars
73. Gone In Sixty Seconds (2000)
74. The Last Castle
75. The Legend of Bagger Vance
76. Emperor's New Groove
77. K-PAX
78. Dead Poets Society
79. Patriot Games
80. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
81. Hitch
82. Emperor’s Club
83. déjà vu
84. The Matrix
85. National Treasure
86. Romancing the Stone
87. Chariots of Fire
88. Bruce Almighty
89. Tremors
90. K-9
91. The Patriot
92. Ronin
93. Sleepless in Seattle
94. Sabrina (1995)
95. Crash
96. Spaceballs
97. Fierce Creatures
98. Hoodwinked
99. Next
100. 50 First Dates
101. Second Hand Lions
102. The ‘Burbs
103. Wild Hogs
104. The Mummy
105. The Terminal
106. 2001: A Space Odyssey
107. West Side Story
108. Fiddler On the Roof
109. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
110. Forget Paris
111. While You Were Sleeping
112. The Last Samurai
113. Minority Report
114. The Rock
115. Lucky Number Slevin
116. Running Man
117. Total Recall
118. Broken Arrow
119. 8 Legged Freaks
120. Gattaca
121. Robin Hood: Men in Tights
122. Twelfth Night
123. Galaxy Quest
124. A-Team
125. Air Force One
126. Overboard
127. 10 Things I Hate About You
128. Jerry Maguire
129. Rosencrans and Guildenstern are Dead
130. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
131. The Man from Snowy River
132. Goonies
133. GI Joe
134. Fireproof
135. Rush Hour 2
136. Shanghai Noon
137. Shanghai Knights
138. Rush Hour
139. Tuxedo
140. War of the Roses
141. High Anxiety
Biggest Gain: Her Alibi up 37 spots from 76 to 39
Biggest Drop: Sabrina (1995) down 73 spots from 21 to 94
Top ten commentary: Red was introduced at number five and Undercover Blues swapped with Return to Me because of how often I watch them in comparison to each other. A Few Good Men and Sneakers dropped down bringing up Miracle to fill its place.
No comments:
Post a Comment